If KABcam doesn’t run or runs and immediately crashes when run on the German language edition of Windows Server 2016 you will need to disable DEP for KABcam.
To disable DEP for KABcam:
- Right click the Start Menu and click System
- On the left click Advanced System Settings
- Click the Advanced tab
- Click the Settings button
- Click the Data Execution Prevention tab
- Enable the option Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:
- Click the Add button near the bottom
- Browse and select the file C:\Program Files (x86)\KAB Software\KABcam\KABcam.exe
- Click the OK button to save the change
This will allow KABcam to to run properly.
The error “Failed to read initial server version string” is usually caused by SSH being blocked by a firewall. Make sure your Windows firewall or security software is not blocking port 22. If you are behind a router or firewall device make sure it is not blocking port 22.
This information only applies to KABcam version 5 and higher.
For network cameras that only provide a video stream KABcam uses FFmpeg to extract a snapshot from the stream.
FFmpeg is a free, open source program for handling audio, video and multimedia files and streams. Due to patent and licensing concerns FFmpeg is not included with KABcam. This FAQ will help you download and setup FFmpeg for use with KABcam.
- Download the correct FFmpeg build from https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
- Unzip the contents to a folder
- In KABcam go to Settings > Camera > Network Camera > Video Stream
- Click the browse button (…) to set path to the FFmpeg program
- Enable Capture snapshot from video stream
- Download FFmpeg program from https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/ffmpeg-4.2.2-win32-static.zip and save it to your computer
- Once the download has finished open the Downloads folder using Windows Explorer.
- Right click on the file ffmpeg-4.2.2-win32-static.zip and choose Extract All…
- Choose a folder for the FFmpeg files, the recommended folder is C:\FFmpeg
Configure KABcam to use FFmpeg
- Run KABcam, open the Settings and select Camera > Network Camera > Video Stream
- Click the browse button (…), browse to the folder from step 4
- In the folder from step 4 browse to ffmpeg-4.2.2-win32-static\bin and choose the ffmpeg file
- Click the the option Capture snapshot from video stream
KABcam is now ready to capture a snapshot from your network camera video stream.
FFmpeg is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) version 2.1 or later. However, FFmpeg incorporates several optional parts and optimizations that are covered by the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2 or later. If those parts get used the GPL applies to all of FFmpeg. See https://www.ffmpeg.org/legal.html for more information.
KABcam calls FFmpeg as an external executable, it does not contain any FFmpeg source code or link to any FFmpeg binaries.
The download links on this page are for the executable program, source code for FFmpeg can be downloaded from www.ffmpeg.org.
Most network camera manuals provide the image or video stream in the camera manual, however not all do and not everyone still has the manual to their camera. If your camera manual doesn’t provide the URL you can try some of these common URLs, some of them are common across different manufactures so if you camera manufacturer isn’t listed you can try ones from other manufacturers
The list does not include every camera and we cannot guarantee these will work. If you have a working URL that’s not in the list please contact kab software to have it added.
We recommend using an Image URL whenever possible. When using one of the URLs replace [ipaddress] with the IP Address of your network camera.
If you are having trouble getting KABcam to upload to an FTP server the following reply codes/messages may help. These are sent to KABcam by the FTP server.
100 Series – The requested action is being initiated, expect another reply before proceeding with a new command.
110 Restart marker reply.
120 Service ready in nnn minutes. 125 Data connection already open; transfer starting.
150 File status okay; about to open data connection.
200 Series – The requested action has been successfully completed.
200 Command okay.
202 Command not implemented, superfluous at this site.
211 System status, or system help reply.
212 Directory status.
213 File status.
214 Help message.
215 NAME system type.
220 Service ready for new user.
221 Service closing control connection.
225 Data connection open; no transfer in progress.
226 Closing data connection.
227 Entering Passive Mode (h1,h2,h3,h4,p1,p2).
230 User logged in, proceed.
250 Requested file action okay, completed.
257 ‘PATHNAME’ created.
300 Series- The command has been accepted, but the requested action is being held in abeyance, pending receipt of further information.
331 User name okay, need password.
332 Need account for login.
350 Requested file action pending further information.
400 Series – The command was not accepted and the requested action did not take place, but the error condition is temporary and the action may be requested again.
421 Service not available, closing control connection.
425 Can’t open data connection.
426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
450 Requested file action not taken.
451 Requested action aborted: local error in processing.
452 Requested action not taken.
500 Series – The command was not accepted and the requested action did not take place.
500 Syntax error, command unrecognized.
501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments.
502 Command not implemented.
503 Bad sequence of commands.
504 Command not implemented for that parameter.
530 Not logged in.
532 Need account for storing files.
550 Requested action not taken.
551 Requested action aborted: page type unknown.
552 Requested file action aborted.
553 Requested action not taken.
You can capture from multiple cameras on the same computer by running multiple copies of KABcam with different settings files.
- Close any running copies of KABcam
- Create a new shortcut to KABcam by right clicking on the KABcam icon and selecting Create Shortcut
- Right click on the new shortcut and select Properties
- In the Properties window on the Shortcut tab add a space to the end of the Target field followed by:
KABcam version 5 and higher
Example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\KAB Software\KABcam.exe" -config "Logitech C270"
KABcam version 4 and lower
"Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\KAB Software\KABcam.exe" LogitechC270
- Click OK to close the Properties window.
- Start KABcam from the new shortcut and configure the settings for a different camera.
- Each time you start KABcam with the new shortcut it will use the new settings file.
- You can create multiple shortcuts with different settings.
- You cannot have multiple copies of KABcam accessing the same camera.
- The settings file for KABcam version 4 and lower cannot contain spaces.
KABcam v5 supports nearly all USB and built-in cameras and most network cameras.
KABcam v4 supports cameras that are available as WDM or VFW devices and network cameras that allow a still image to be viewed as a url. KABcam v4 may not be able to select the correct camera when 2 or more cameras are connected to the computer.
The easiest way to tell if your camera will work with KABCam is to download the free 20 day trial.
This only affects KABcam version 4 and lower
At the end of March, 2016 Yahoo! shutdown the public weather server used by version 4 and lower, this does not affect version 5 and higher.